>Hi Everyone--
>Can anyone tell me what happens to borers that get down to the rzs of
>iris that are planted in standing water?  Do they drown or do they find
>it part of their natural habitat?  I have pseuds and versicolor in the
>pond and they are just fine (have been for years) and since both of
>these are naturals for borers I wonder if it attacks them only when they
>are planted in damp soil rather than actually in the water.
>I don't know whether to spray or not to spray.  I dug a small clump of
>pseuds last summer that turned out to have borer but they were not in
>the water.  they were from a clump given to me by someone in a warmer
>zone (probably 5-6).  My TBs dont seem to have them either.
>this is my first year for jis and las.  should I spray them or wait to
>see if I have borers?  I hate to spray if it is not necessary.
Given what everybody has been saying about borers, and our personal
experiences with a lack of borer (but a plentitude of versicolor and
pseudacorus), I have a theory about all of this.

Was it Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot who said you shouldn't theorize
without facts. Since we don't seem to have many facts, what else are we
supposed to do?

The theory is, they aren't iris borers. Iris are simply something they will
eat if they can't find their preferred food source. Since this preferred
food source is unknown, we can assume it isn't a cultivated plant, or at
least that it isn't cultivated widely. It is native to the northeastern US,
occupying much the same area as versicolor. Why else would borer naturally
exist only north of a line that has not proved to be a southern limit for
its range? Or perhaps this alternate host plant is spreading south?

I guess I'm looking for an explanation of why those of us who live
surrounded by native versicolor and feral pseudacorus populations don't
automatically have horrible borer problems. We should be living in a
veritable borer epicenter, yet they seem to leave us alone. Any bug that is
this inefficient doesn't deserve to still be alive.

Just thinking out loud

Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA zone 5 - land of 1,000 swamps