Re: Cult: Borers

>> Dear Lloyd, do you think borers can survive in sweden? Is that something
>> must fear when importing iris?
>> BW / Gunnar
>     I am not Lloyd, but I think that the Iris Borer probably could survive
>in the southern third of Sweden if introduced there.  I would not stop
>importing Irises if I were you, but I would inspect each rhizome before
>planting it.  If you find a Borer, kill it immediately.
>Mark A. Cook
>Dunnellon, FL.
Dear Gunnar: Mark is right. I just want to say that the borer was a real
problem in Ontario Canada, when I lived there . So the cold does not seem
to interfere with their life cycle. Some people dip all their new plants in
a Chlorox solution , being sure to rinse it off a half-hour later, lest if
attfect the next year bloom.  From the discussion here on line it would
seem that excessive heat in the summer might be more destructive to the
borer than excessively cold winters. Oddly, we seem to be going right into
spring, without having had much cold weather at all. Heavy raind predicted
for tomorrow and Wednesday, Feb. 3 & 4. Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham North
Carolina, (Zone 8).