Iris bud fly (was 101 uses for Cygon)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Iris bud fly (was 101 uses for Cygon)
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:49:32 -0700 (MST)

	Andrew wrote:

>If you mean the fly that lands and deposits a larvae which crawls into
>the buds of sibs and species like versicolor and virginica and setosa,
>and eats the reproductive parts, especially the anthers so that when the
>flower opens, it is missing most of the middle, then that is the
>orthacita fly. (Somebody please correct my spelling)

	The iris bud fly = orthochaeta dissimilis. The bud fly 'visits' my
	apogons sporadically. I do not use Cygon since I am not into a
	serious hybridizing program. The plants are not compromised just the
	buds and thusly the reproductive parts of the beardless irises.

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Siberian iris robin   /   sibrob@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA / USDA Zone 3