  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: BORERS AND WATER
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 04:55:51 -0700 (MST)

Kay Camgemi wrote:
> I guess I'm looking for an explanation of why those of us who live
> surrounded by native versicolor and feral pseudacorus populations don't
> automatically have horrible borer problems.

Maybe you are in an area where the wondrous borer-eating nematode occurs
naturally in enough abundance to keep borers under control.  The
nematode must occur in the wild somewhere.  If the presumed native host
of the borer is abundant, then I would expect native predators/parasites
to be abundant also.  If not nematodes in the soil, then maybe something

Now I'm wondering how nematodes 'invade' new territory.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
back to gray rain again.  A few freezes near 20 the last few days didn't
hurt the I. reticulata, I. danfordiae, and species crocuses.