Re: Comp-clip art

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Comp-clip art
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 06:00:00 -0700 (MST)

>Does anyone know of a clipart source (other than photos) of irises?
>Stylized, line drawings, etc?

John, newsletter editors all over the country would love to find one. There
are  a few royalties-free, stylized irises in clipart collections put out
by Corel and Clickart - but not enough to make buying the whole collections

Artistic talent being as broadly distributed as it is, chances are good
someone in your local club draws. It would be a wise investment of your
time to convince that person to make you some good line drawings in opaque
black ink which you could size down via photocopier and do the old
cut-and-paste with. I dislike messing with all that because it leads to
cutout shadows and makes revising a page difficult. When possible, I draw
my own drop-in art in an antique version of MacDraw II or (as of this week)
Illustrator 6.

Unfortunately, my page design program, QuarkXpress, mangles Illustrator EPS
art so that I am forced to rescale the Illustrator drawings in the
computer, print them out to size and then apply them to printed pages using
cut-and-paste. I detest this!

If anyone knows a workaround that will convince Quark 3.2 to like
Illustrator 6 artwork, please, please share. Does anyone know if Quark is
more accepting of Freehand?

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons