Dutch iris & nasty weather- help

Hi all, I'm new to the list & have never had the opportunity to grow
irises before (I lived in central FL for most of my life, and when my
gardening interest expanded to include irises I found that several
mail-order bulb companies wouldn't even send me a catalog because of
the region I was in...needless to say, this discouraged me a bit).
Well, now
I live in WV and have a nice border out front, so I planted a number
of bulbs including some Dutch irises- and I'm getting nervous because
they're coming up like crazy and our weather is rotten (snow and sleet
and such).
How much snow and freezing can the Dutch irises withstand? This border
is right up against the house, and the heat from our basement may keep
the roots warm...I just don't know enough about iris culture to know
whether I should mulch them or not, et al. Any help would be greatly,
greatly appreciated- anything to alleviate my fear of going out one
morning and seeing withered shoots (this goes for the other bulbs as
well- grape hyacinths and bunches of as-yet-unidentified bulbs that
were originally planted by my grandmother years ago)!
Thanks, and glad to be on the list,