Re: Dutch iris & nasty weather- help

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dutch iris & nasty weather- help
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:25:03 -0700 (MST)

Tami,
> Hi all, I'm new to the list & have never had the opportunity to grow
> irises before (I lived in central FL for most of my life, and when my
> gardening interest expanded to include irises I found that several
> mail-order bulb companies wouldn't even send me a catalog because of
> the region I was in...needless to say, this discouraged me a bit).
> Well, now  I live in WV and have a nice border out front, so I planted a
number
> of bulbs including some Dutch irises-

     Dutch Irises are usually rather short-lived, lasting a few seasons
then dying out.  At least, that was what they did when I lived in Kentucky.
 The snow will not hurt those plants.  It is probably better that something
like this happen to slow things down a bit.  When things get green too
early, the freeze damage is often severe.
     Did you grow any Irises when you lived in central Florida?  I do know
that Louisiana Irises, Iris pseudacorus, and some other species will grow
in the area where I now live.  I am experimenting with some others.
     Welcome to the Iris List.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, FL.