SIB: chrysographes

Ellen Gallagher writes:

> 	If they are beardless irises, they might be I. chrysographes, a
> 	40-chromosome Siberian which is native to China and Burma. Actually,
> 	there are gold streaks in the falls with variations of some hybrids
> 	showing absent the gold lines. Some garden cultivars are almost black.
>
> 	It is a lovely series and fairly easy to grow in gardens...it is
> 	branched and is a stand-out in the garden. One of mine is in a bog
> 	garden and another is in regular garden soil.

Ellen,

I am encouraged that you regard chrysographes as fairly easy to grow, as I
got some seed of this iris from SIGNA this year and am hoping to be able to
grow and bloom it here.

According to Dr. McEwen's book, I. chrysographes (the species) gives its
name to chysographes (the series or subseries) that includes all the other
Sino-Siberian irises as well. He indicates that a couple of these are
branched, but not I. chrysographes itself. Did you mean to say that your I.
chrysographes is branched or were you referring to other members of the
series or hybrids among them?

cwalters@digitalpla.net