Re: Dutch iris & nasty weather- help

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dutch iris & nasty weather- help
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:48:32 -0700 (MST)

Tami L wrote:

> I live in WV and have a nice border out front, so I planted a number
> of bulbs including some Dutch irises- and I'm getting nervous because
> they're coming up like crazy and our weather is rotten (snow and sleet
> and such).

Hi Tami and welcome to the iris-L.  I live in California in Zone 8 and
the dutch iris usually start their growth when we begin to get our
winter rain, usually in November.  Right now my dutch iris are full
sized plants about 1 foot tall.  I can't tell you how much cold they can
take because I don't get much.  We did have a week in December where the
nights were down to 27/28f for about a week.  I can tell you that they
like a dry summer.  Mine do not get any water for about 6/7 months in
the spring/summer and they like this.  In this climate they last
forever, well I've have many different kinds and some i've had for 6/7
years.  I can recommend the variety "Wedgewood" (blue) which is more
vigorous with a large flower.  I fertilize them spring/fall.

Again, welcome to the list and enjoy.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California