OT: pronunciation of chrysographes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: pronunciation of chrysographes
  • From: Beth Metty <patrickm@umich.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 03:42:44 -0700 (MST)

ECPep@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 98-02-04 22:14:18 EST, Rick Tasco writes:
>  Do you know if chrysographes goes dormant during the winter, losing all
>  it's foilage like the hybrid Sibs?  I am growing a single seedling from
>  SIGNA seed and it is either totally dormant or dead.  I would prefer the
>  former.
>  BTW, can you or anyone else spell out chrysographes phonetically >>
> Rick,
> >From Hamlyn on plant names which is British:
>                       kris-o-gra-feez  (the accent on the  o )(may not
> transmit to non-AOL)
> I have a seed grown clump and it does not like to be dry.  We are so unalike
> in climate it may be of no help to you to know ours is completely dormant 6/7
> months.  Just now it is under snow,
> Claire Peplowski
> East Nassau, NY
> zone 4 - Berkshire area

Many of you undoubtedly know this, but I found it fascinating.  I asked
a friend who was a linguistics major why plant names are often
pronounced in two different ways - CLEMatis and cleMAtis, for example,
and she said the choice of pronunciation depends on whether you are
treating the word as a foreign word in the language, in which case you
give it its foreign (in this case, latin) pronunciation - cleMAtis.  If,
however, you are treating the word as one which has been absorbed into
the language you are speaking (english), then you pronounce it as you
would any english word, moving the accent forward as we do in english -
CLEMatis.  Interesting, huh?  Beth