Re: Dutch iris & nasty weather- help

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dutch iris & nasty weather- help
  • From: daf10@cornell.edu (Dorothy A. Fingerhood)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 06:05:33 -0700 (MST)

>How much snow and freezing can the Dutch irises withstand? This border
>is right up against the house, and the heat from our basement may keep
>the roots warm...I just don't know enough about iris culture to know
>whether I should mulch them or not, et al. Any help would be greatly,
>greatly appreciated- anything to alleviate my fear of going out one
>morning and seeing withered shoots (this goes for the other bulbs as
>well- grape hyacinths and bunches of as-yet-unidentified bulbs that
>were originally planted by my grandmother years ago)!

Welcome, Tami!  The last sentence is your clue--most of the time, these
bulbs know what they're doing!  Even if the foliage gets nipped a bit by
extreme cold, they will be all right, and flower, 9 times out of 10.  Dutch
iris expecially seem to like to send up a bit up foliage prematurely,
"testing the weather,"  I suppose--but the bloomstalks will wait for better
weather.

Dorothy Fingerhood
daf10@cornell.edu
(Newfield, NY)