Re-Australian Book

Price fixing does not help people anywhere.  It certainly does not help
when we are trying to purchase expensive gardening books!  Using
Grosvenor's logic, the BIS Species Iris book should cost us all $105US
rather than the $40 price that many paid. What does it cost in Australia
- over $105US?  I would not be surprised as restricted trade practices
are common there.  In a banana plantation in West Australia, bananas
cost four times the price of the same fruit in Canada!  Note that we
live 2-5,000 miles from the plantations that supply us and yet we can
buy then every day of the year.  This price difference applies to most
fruit in Australia.  the only exception we found was pineapple in
Queensland but, there again, in Central America you could not carry a
dollar's worth of pineapple purchased from the farmer.

Concerning good bargains, I have just bought an excellent new reference
book - "Reader's Digest A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants" 1,100 pages
of descriptions of 15,000 plants with 6000 photographs. $50 Canadian at
Price Costco but $80 in other stores.  Luckily, no price fixing.  I am
sure the saving of $30 will be spent on yet another gardening book!

Ian, in Ottawa