Re: OT: pronunciation of Aril

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: pronunciation of Aril
  • From: scott jordan <sjordan@unm.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:12:38 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Steven & Sharlyn Rocha wrote:

> Dear Friends of the List,
> 	I have often wondered about the pronunciation of the word aril.  I have
> been pronouncing it A-ril (short a sound) and have heard others do so too.
> But, a judge I know in our region pronounces it ARil.  Actually it sounds
> like AIR-el the way she says it. Does anyone out there know how it should
> be inflected?

As can be seen from other messages about pronunciation, there is much concern
over how words are spoken.  This is interesting, but not worth excessive concern.
The significant point is whether the information is conveyed.  That said, my
understanding of how aril is usually pronounced by members of the Aril Society
is AIR-il (preferred) or AIR-el. Although I've indicated stress on the first
syllable, there is little difference between them.  I sometimes hear
AIR-ee-el from show visitors but not from Aril Society members, and this
is definitely wrong since it adds a non-existent syllable. Does everyone
know what "aril" indicates?  An aril is a ring-like excrescence on the sprouting
end of the seed that is found in oncocyclus and regelia iris and their hybrids
with ordinary bearded garden irises, which are designated "arilbreds".  The
important thing is to grow some since they have such spectacular blossoms.

Scott Jordan, President, Aril Society International, Middle Rio Grande
Valley, Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Currently enjoying "el nino" weather.