Re: SIB: chrysographes (long & boring)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SIB: chrysographes (long & boring)
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:11:40 -0700 (MST)

>I am encouraged that you regard chrysographes as fairly easy to grow, as I
>got some seed of this iris from SIGNA this year and am hoping to be able to
>grow and bloom it here.

	I think the subseries, I. chrysographes, grows well here in Zone
	3 even though it is indicated that it grows in Zone 4 and up.

>According to Dr. McEwen's book, I. chrysographes (the species) gives its
>name to chysographes (the series or subseries) that includes all the other
>Sino-Siberian irises as well. He indicates that a couple of these are
>branched, but not I. chrysographes itself. Did you mean to say that your I.
>chrysographes is branched or were you referring to other members of the
>series or hybrids among them?

	Too bad that the individual species, I. chrysographes, is also the
	name of the subseries...same thing with I. sibericae. My I. delavayi
	is branched not the I. chrysographes. :-( Sorry for the unclear
	post.

	Now to pronunciation. <G> I pronounce it like Jeff's post indicates
	but we are both wrong according to Currier's book.

	Jeff wrote: Kris-owe-GRAF-eeze

	Currier indicates: cry(as in crystal)-so-GROg-fees

	Almost the same pronunciation as a practical matter. :-)

	Not only do I not know, among other things, a mnemonic device
	for the sino-sibs, I had to look up the word...always troubling
	as my 55th birthday approaches....more brain cells dying?

	I agree that the American South does have a wee bit more of the
	English-English . Never refer to the British monarchy if it can be
	helped. No Celtic-Anglophiles here. :-)

	Ellen (who received a private post that asked me if I had seen a
	       robin yet - she had - this is February in the snowy, cold
	       White Mountains and no robins just our erstwhile chickadees)

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Siberian iris robin   /   sibrob@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA / USDA Zone 3