Re: OT: Encyclopedia on CD-ROM....was Australian Book

Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> Does anyone know if a good encyclopedia like the one mentioned above is
> available on CD-ROM?  I thought I should start using my CD_ROM for
> something besides loading software.

Rick, a friend recently sent me the Botanica encyclopedia published in
Dec. by Barnes & Noble -- it comes with a CD-ROM disk which, I'm
embarrassed to admit, I still haven't looked at. (I've been swamped with
computer work lately, which is good for the pocketbook but hard on the
fun-times.) Botanica itself is a hernia-producing giant volume with
excellent photos thruout & text that, in my cursory reading, also seems
excellent-to-very-good. So far, the only thing I'd take issue with in
the plant portraits is erring on the side of caution re hardiness zones
-- I've noticed a number of perennials that I grow in Zone 4 that they
rate as 5, 6 or even 7.

Anyway, I'll have to report back on the quality & usefullness of this
disk. One thing I've heard around the 'Net is that MOST of the gardening
CD-ROM disks available are not that great but I can't speak from
personal knowledge yet. I have heard that the Sunset Western one is
about the best of the lot -- does anyone on the list have it on CD-ROM?

BTW, I use my CD-ROM drive all the time -- clipart, photos, thesaurus &
two "regular" encyclopedias (Grolier's & Compton's), not to mention the
games that any teenage visitors clamor to play. I myself confess to
being addicted to "Myst" from time to time & my husband loves "Flight
Simulator"...

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado