Re: OT: Encyclopedia on CD-ROM....was Australian Book

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Encyclopedia on CD-ROM....was Australian Book
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 16:00:57 -0700 (MST)

Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:
> >
> > Concerning good bargains, I have just bought an excellent new
> > reference book - "Reader's Digest A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants"
> > 1,100 pages of descriptions of 15,000 plants with 6000 photographs.
>
> Does anyone know if a good encyclopedia like the one mentioned above is
> available on CD-ROM?

The Western Garden CDROM from Sunset is not nearly that big, but
it seems to have all the info in the book, with a pretty good search
engine. You can do things like ask for white fall-blooming perennials
that are 4-8" tall. I use it frequently to check spelling of the lists
of plants we are going to have at our club's plant table, which I put
in our monthly newsletter.

BTW, Rick, there have been two instances where I have liked someone's
spelling or pronunciation of a word better than the original. One was
a math prof who called a tilde a twiddle. The other is your spelling
"foliage" as  "foilage." In both cases it really seems it should have
been that way.                                           ;-)

Gerry, just in from some weeding
--
gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles