Kris-oh-GRAF-eeze and Two Kinds of Robins

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Kris-oh-GRAF-eeze and Two Kinds of Robins
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 19:17:35 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ellen!
> 	Now to pronunciation. <G> I pronounce it like Jeff's post indicates
> 	but we are both wrong according to Currier's book.
> 	Jeff wrote: Kris-owe-GRAF-eeze
> 	Currier indicates: cry(as in crystal)-so-GROg-fees
> 	Almost the same pronunciation as a practical matter. :-)
> 	Not only do I not know, among other things, a mnemonic device
> 	for the sino-sibs, I had to look up the word...always troubling
> 	as my 55th birthday approaches....more brain cells dying?

Well, if we agree and are (nearly) right, everyone else must just talk
funny. Maybe its a cohort thing - it looks like we are near contemporaries.
> 	I agree that the American South does have a wee bit more of the
> 	English-English . Never refer to the British monarchy if it can be
> 	helped. No Celtic-Anglophiles here. :-)

Actually, the basic speech patterns of American English were established
before there was such a thing as Oxbridge or Received British English. The
colonists who came here in the 1600's brought their local accents with them
from different parts of  the British Isles. RBE did not coalesce as a
distinct speech form until the mid-1700's. It is based on the local
dialects of London and south-central England, from which most of the early
Southern colonists came, hence the resemblance of the two at the present
day. Eastern New England was primarily settled by people from East Anglia,
the Middle Colonies by folk from the English Midlands, and the back country
by people from the Anglo-Scottish Borderlands and their cousins from
Northern Ireland, giving each area the basic accents they have retained to
the present day. (Although Middle Colony English was also affected by the
large number of Dutch and German speaking people who settled there at an
early date. One of my College English professors once inquired if I was
raised in a German-speaking home because he detected a distinctly Teutonic
note in my grammar).
Besides the species I. chrysographes seed from SIGNA, I also have some that
was listed as 97J073: Sino-Siberian from Witt 40's, chrysog. form, long
bloom, purple, 18-20". Perhaps this might give something resembling
chrysographes with a bit of branching?
> 	Ellen (who received a private post that asked me if I had seen a
> 	       robin yet - she had - this is February in the snowy, cold
> 	       White Mountains and no robins just our erstwhile chickadees)

There are both robins and chickadees here. Robins are year-round residents
in these parts showing no migratory tendencies at all. Chickadees are local
migrants who come down into the valleys during the winter and return to the
mountains for the summer.

There are some noises being made about reviving the HIPS e-mail Robin,
which apparently has taken off and crash landed twice already. I wonder if
you could share any insights with me concerning what is involved in
launching an e-mail Robin and keeping it aloft based on your experience
with SIBROB?