Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata....was OT-Pronunciation

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata....was OT-Pronunciation
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:43:29 -0700 (MST)

Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:

> Ian, in Ottawa where it remains about -6C and sunny and we should see
> our first Iris danfordiae or reticulata in 6-8 weeks.

Speaking of I. reticulata, I recieved some, about 110 bulbs from Park
seed company as a gift for purchasing daffodils (a lot).  Anyway as the
reticulata's are now blooming I was surprised to see a number of
different clones emerging.  I kind of thought that all would be the same
but I now have 3 distinct types.  The majority are a dark wine purple
self with a white signal (no yellow or orange signal at all).  another
is a bicolor with lavender standards and medium purple falls with a
white signal dissected with a orange line.  The third is a medium
blue-violet self, white signal with an orange line.

Does anyone know varietal names within this species?  I've heard of
"Cantab" and a few others, but have no idea what i have.  I took good
close up pictures(not developed yet) and can send to anyone who may be
able to identify.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California