Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata....was OT-Pronunciation

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata....was OT-Pronunciation
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:17:03 -0700 (MST)

Rick Tasco writes:

> Speaking of I. reticulata, I recieved some, about 110 bulbs from Park
> seed company as a gift for purchasing daffodils (a lot).  Anyway as the
> reticulata's are now blooming I was surprised to see a number of
> different clones emerging.  I kind of thought that all would be the same
> but I now have 3 distinct types.  The majority are a dark wine purple
> self with a white signal (no yellow or orange signal at all).  another
> is a bicolor with lavender standards and medium purple falls with a
> white signal dissected with a orange line.  The third is a medium
> blue-violet self, white signal with an orange line.
>
> Does anyone know varietal names within this species?

Rick,

McClure and Zimmerman lists the following reticulata (with description):

Pauline: Violet-purple with a white blotch on each fall

This seems close to your number one. I think there may be too many
candidates for the other two to single any one out on the basis of written
descriptions alone, though number three could be Harmony, which resembles
your description as it blooms here.

cwalters@digitalpla.net