Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata....was OT-Pronunciation

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata....was OT-Pronunciation
  • From: Duane Buell <dbuell@ptialaska.net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:59:13 -0700 (MST)

Do you have access to "The Genus Iris" by William Dykes? It has considerable
info on the reticulata and lists several (eight, if I read it correctly)
varieties. I think you answer might be here, but frankly, this book is about
10 years beyond my iris experience level to interpret it. I opened it,
started reading and said, "Huh?". Fortunately, it has some pretty pictures.

>Speaking of I. reticulata, I recieved some, about 110 bulbs from Park
>seed company as a gift for purchasing daffodils (a lot).  Anyway as the
>reticulata's are now blooming I was surprised to see a number of
>different clones emerging.  I kind of thought that all would be the same
>but I now have 3 distinct types.  The majority are a dark wine purple
>self with a white signal (no yellow or orange signal at all).  another
>is a bicolor with lavender standards and medium purple falls with a
>white signal dissected with a orange line.  The third is a medium
>blue-violet self, white signal with an orange line.
>Does anyone know varietal names within this species?  I've heard of
>"Cantab" and a few others, but have no idea what i have.  I took good
>close up pictures(not developed yet) and can send to anyone who may be
>able to identify.
>Rick Tasco
>Superstition Iris Gardens
>Central California
>Zone 8
Duane Buell  Zone 6a but plan 5b for safety
Now featuring a BarnesandNoble bookseller link
dbuell@ptialaska.net or sales.ohq@sport4u.com