Re: CULT: Leaf Spot

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Leaf Spot
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 06:43:09 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, william b. cook wrote:

> > Dear Mark: Why not urge the hybridizers to state if their introductions
> (new)
> > are resistant to leaf spot?? It is a trait worth breeding for, and iris
> > varieties clearly differ in the amount of resistance they show. Lloyd Z.
> in
> > Durham NC
>
> Lloyd,
>      I think this is a great idea.  It also look to me as if the resistant
> Irises are more vigorous too.
>
> Mark A. Cook
> billc@atlantic.net
> Dunnellon, FL.

	I don't really think one can predict the proclivity or resistance
of an iris cultivar to leaf spot.  I think climate, weather, and the
gardener are all interrelated.

	Some years in Texas when we had a humid, wet season there would be
considerable amounts of leaf spot, but in dry seasons there would be very
little.

	On the other hand, I now live in a very humid climate (MS) with
lots of rainfall and hardly have any leaf spot at all.  I think the
combination of soil type, rainfall, and overall cleanliness and layout of
the garden govern the presence or absence of leaf spot.  I remember
sending off some of my plants to be guested at a convention in the East.
I had not known these plants to be prone to leaf spot, but in one garden,
they were covered with it; so were the other guest irises. Clumps were
very crowded in this particular garden, leaving little air circulation. In
other gardens, there was no leaf spot at all. (Spacing also has an effect
on rose leaf spot).

	Regarding the use of bleach, I have treated rot with full strength
bleach and have had perfect plants and bloom the following season.
Sufficient rainfall over successive months should wash away any residual
bleach that might be in the soil.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8