Re: Garden Report

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Garden Report
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 18:28:39 -0700 (MST)

> But I also have a question.  When I planted Vibrations, it was already
> an insta-clump, and what I assumed to be the mother rhizome was still
> attached...well, half of it was.  Today, while I was pulling the weeds,
> part of that split-rhizome came off in my hand.  This is okay, right?

Rusty,
     The mother rhizome eventually dies as the increase continues to grow.
Pulling off part of the rhizome will not harm the plant.
     I feel this is a good time to remind growers that some weeds, such as
Henbit grow during the winter.  These weeds, when allowed to cover the
rhizomes, can help hold in excessive moisture and thus promote rot.  Also,
they can provide a safe haven for damaging "critters" such as slugs.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, FL.