Re: CULT: Blyth intros?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth intros?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 19:39:51 -0700 (MST)

Linda Mann wrote:

> Last year, Walter Moore's posted performance in his Mississippi garden
> of several of those gorgeous Blyth introductions.  While stuck here in
> the 3 day power outage (!!), I've been memorizing the 1998 Keppel
> catalog (the only one I have so far).  Only one of the Blyth cultivars
> Walter mentioned is listed, so I was wondering if Walter or any other
> folks in the southeastern freeze/thaw, flood/drought, heat, humidity,
> rot, and death belt have some performance data points on additional
> Blyth cultivars they would share with the list.
>
> EURYTHMIC is still cheerfully growing in a pot on my windowsill in an
> unheated room, only watered occasionally when I remember and can fight
> my way through all the junk to get to it.
>
> The cultivars Walter told us about were AFFAIRE, BEACH GIRL, BEHOLD A
> LADY, CHOCOLATE VANILLA, CHINESE EMPRESS, CHINESE TREASURE, CRIMSON
> SNOW, ELECTRIQUE, ENGLISH CHARM, EURYTHMIC, GALLAND ROGUE, GREEN &
> GIFTED, HE MAN, LIGHT BEAM, LIPSTICK LIES, MAGHAREE, MOOMBA, PIPER'S
> FLUTE, REMBRANDT MAGIC, TOMORROW'S CHILD, TOUCH OF BRONZE, WITCH'S WAND,
> and WITCHING.  Check the archives for what he said about them - probably
> the subject was Blyth.
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
> snow zone, for a change.

Linda -- I have CHINESE TREASURE, which I have been using to very nice
effect with my recessive amoenas, as well as CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE (1/2
Blyth), AMBER SNOW and another which may be BEACH GIRL (I'll know when
the definitely-identified BEACH GIRL I ordered last year blooms). These
have been doing quite well here in the tidal Potomac area. Last year, I
added CHINESE EMPRESS, AURA LIGHT, TOWN CLOWN, BEAU ZAM, ELECTRIQUE,
KNIGHTED and AFFAIRE. Remind me, and I'll let you know how they're
doing. Meantime, Barry Blyth will be the featured guest at our Region 4
meeting hosted by the Francis Scott Key Iris Society (Baltimore) on May
22 and 23. Might that not be worth a trip from Tennessee? It's only a
long day's drive, or overnight, at most.

jgcrump@erols.com