Re: OT:Mild winter recollection

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT:Mild winter recollection
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 20:50:43 -0700 (MST)

Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> J. Griffin Crump wrote:
> >
> > Several seedlings which had never bloomed -- for as long as 12 years > -- now bloomed.
>
> Griff,
>
> Whatever happened to the seedlings?  Were those your amoena's?
>
> Rick Tasco
> Superstition Iris Gardens
> Central California.......Heavy rains today.
> Zone 8

Rick -- The two reluctant seedlings are (1) a variegata with golden
stands and mahogany velvet falls with a narrow edge the color of the
stands, and (2), a blue-black, velvet self with flaring, round falls.
The variegata is a dead end, infertile both ways. The blue-black self
does not set seed, and only rarely has given up pollen. The single cross
I have been able to obtain -- with a neglecta -- produced two seeds
which did not germinate. I do not know the parentage of these two
seedlings. They were survivors of an incident in about 1980 when a
"gentleman" farmer who coveted the land I was leasing came across and
disced 1,200+ of my seedlings. I was only able to salvage about 45 of
them, and to identify the parentage of only 16. Although I obtained a
financial settlement from him, the experience was so traumatic that I
gave up hybridizing for 10 years. The seedlings destroyed included many
crosses between TBs and MDBs, SDBs and TBs, SDBs and MDBs, etc.

jgcrump@erols.com

Griff