RE: Leaf Spot: Gene, Culture, Location, Gardener

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Leaf Spot: Gene, Culture, Location, Gardener
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 08:06:35 -0700 (MST)

At 06:27 AM 2/8/98 -0700, Walter wrote:

>	I was hoping more people would respond to the leaf spot thread
>regarding the items listed above.  If you have some time, give it some
>more thought.  If it is a gene that causes it, can this gene be
>identified /isolated in DNA testing and eventually bred out of lines that
>carry it?
>
>	Why is leaf spot more prevalent in different seasons, climate,
>gardens?

Walter, around here leaf spot is ubiquitous.  Some varieties show more
resistance than others, but darn near every fan on bearded irises sports
some spot.  If it's linked to a gene, I think the gene must be essential
for an iris to be an iris!

I do not spray.  I DO practice "clean cultivation" and trimming--sometimes
to extremes (time permitting).  However, anyone wanting to study the
problem will find ample material in my iris beds, no matter what I have
done, or what the weather has been.  Some weather conditions --humidity,
lots of rain, do seem to make it worse.
That's the view from my garden, anyway.

Dorothy Fingerhood
daf10@cornell.edu