RE: Leaf Spot: Gene

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Leaf Spot: Gene
  • From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 08:43:39 -0700 (MST)

I'll have to disagree with the following idea....

> If it's linked to a gene, I think the gene must be essential
>for an iris to be an iris!

I'd bet that a lot of the problems with leaf spot are inherited.

When was the last time (if ever) you heard of leaf spot on Dwarf =
beardeds, Psuedocorus, Sibs, etc....

The ones affected in my garden, regardless of location, are the newer =
TBs. The corellation to breeding dogs for the showring is the easiest to =
make... The best looking ones regardless of problems are usually bred to =
insure more good looking ones that will win more ribbons, and sire more =
problems in the line.

Rather than lose the genetics that go into making these irises some of =
the most beautiful things ever grown, a study might be worthwhile to =
locate whatever gene may be involved in allowing leaf spot to take such =
a firm hold in the TBs.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.... Spring is here! First lamb dropped at =
9:00 last night.

Christy Hensler

Newport, WA