Re: SIGNA Seed

Melissa Harris wrote:

> Hello,
>

> What I'm wondering is, should I start seed now, or should I wait until next
> Fall? Here in California, it is almost Spring. (A very WET Spring, but
> still..) Which time of year would yield greater rates of gemination?

Melissa,

I have had good success planting right after the seed arrive, usually
late January/February.  I soak the seed for 3 days changing the water
each day and then plant in a sterile medium such as Supersoil.  Leave
them out in the rain.  Last year the only seed not to germinate was
Magnifica 'Samarkand Gem' SIGNA 96W458.

To be safe, I sometime save half or a portion of the seed to plant in
the fall or next year.  That is if SIGNA sends you plenty.  As you
probably know they are sometimes short on some seeds and will only send
you 3 or 4.

> Vallejo, CA - Zone 9
> Rainfall 200% above normal. We've been told that this weather pattern could
> last through April..

And it could shut off tomorrow as it did last year.  No rain from
February until October.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California