Re: Leaf Spot--aphids--foliar feeding

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Leaf Spot--aphids--foliar feeding
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:17:02 -0700 (MST)

Gerry Snyder wrote:
> At a JT yesterday George Sutton presented an interesting theory.
> He has noticed much less leaf spot the last couple of years
> (in central California), starting when he began foliar feeding.
> He also sees fewer aphids.
> The theory is that foliar feeding helps to control the aphids,
> and aphids spread leaf spot.
> Any comments?

Yes, since I just happen to live in Central California.  Aphids were at
their worst last fall and I thought about spraying them for the first
time since I moved here.  However we had a good cold spell just before
Christmas where the temps went down to 27/28 for a week.  This killed
them, at least they are all gone and none to be seen.

Rick Tasco
Superstiton Iris Gardens
Central California Sierra Nevada foothills--Zone 8--where for the first
38 days of 1998 we have had 14.47" of rain and there is a funny thing
happening in the sky right now, a brightening glow, could it be the
sun??  Maybe for a glimpse, more rain expected this afternoon!