RE: Leaf Spot: Gene

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Leaf Spot: Gene
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 19:23:41 -0700 (MST)

At 08:44 AM 2/8/98 -0700, Christy wrote:

>I'll have to disagree with the following idea....
>> If it's linked to a gene, I think the gene must be essential
>>for an iris to be an iris!
>I'd bet that a lot of the problems with leaf spot are inherited.
>When was the last time (if ever) you heard of leaf spot on Dwarf =
>beardeds, Psuedocorus, Sibs, etc....

Got me!  I should have specified "bearded" iris.  I don't see leaf spot on
Sibs, JIs, pseudocorus, etc.

But I DO see it on every class of bearded iris--including SDBs, and even on
some of the few MDBs I have grown.  Yup, even on arilbreds and
aril-medians, though I think they are less susceptible (have to remember to
check on this more extensively).

Someone (Edmundas?) noted that acid soils can be a problem--and Walter
mentioned that loose sandy loam seems worse than heavy clay.  I have both
of these "offending" conditions....

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY, USA