Re: Leaf Spot--aphids--foliar feeding

Donald Mosser wrote:

> I love to experiment with things added to the foliar sprays.  Anyone else
> have a favorite ingredient (things fairly non-toxic to humans)?  I once saw
> a famous gardening fellow (can't remember his name) on the local PBS T.V.
> channel talking about mixing up a concoction with Listerine mouthwash,
> beer, tobacco juice, and lots of other household items.  Anyone know about
> this fellow and if his homemade garden remedies actually work?

You're talking about Jerry Baker, I believe -- some of his formulas &
ideas are useful & work, most don't, IMHO. I'm afraid he's been filling
TV time & newsletter space for so long that it's hard to separate his
good info from the junk. Also, mention is rarely made in Baker's stuff
about the specifics of climate, soil & other things which may, or may
not, make his suggestions good for your particular locale. I have been
able to benefit from some of the things he's published about growing &
caring for *house plants*, but most of his "outdoor" tips & tricks are
all wrong, at least for my garden & yard.

BTW, his homemade "formulas" are often more expensive to make than
simply buying a product to accomplish the same end at the garden supply
store.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado -- grey-gloomy but warm
again here today. No snow (to speak of) in over 2 weeks!