Re: SV: Leaf Spot: Gene, Culture, Location, Gardener

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SV: Leaf Spot: Gene, Culture, Location, Gardener
  • From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 20:10:24 -0700 (MST)

>I have some seeds that have started to germinate, and they are
>crosses with flavescens and other modern hybrids.
>I very much interested to see how they are gonna bee.
>
>Especially when it looks like  'flavescens' looks like it have some natural
>resistens against leaf spots. it wont hurt so much to be doing some 'back
>crossing'
>again.
>
>Gunnar
>
>----------
>> Fren: Walter A. Moores <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
>> Till: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
>> Dmne: RE: Leaf Spot: Gene, Culture, Location, Gardener
>> Datum:  den 8 februari 1998 14:26
>>

>>       I was hoping more people would respond to the leaf spot thread
>> regarding the items listed above.  If you have some time, give it some
>> more thought.  If it is a gene that causes it, can this gene be
>> identified /isolated in DNA testing and eventually bred out of lines that
>> carry it?
>>
>>       Why is leaf spot more prevalent in different seasons, climate,
>> gardens?
>>
>>       Walter Moores
>>       Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (where Dime Spot is finally in bloom after
>> stalking in November)

Dear Gunnar:  Are you quite sure that your seedlings are from I.
flavescens? I hope they are, but I had thought that I flavescense was
sterile. If you can introduce resistance to leaf spot, you will have done
an excellent thing. I would warn you that the seedlings are apt to be
rather poor in form in this first generation. Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC.