Re: Leaf spot, Gene, Culture, Location....

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Leaf spot, Gene, Culture, Location....
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 21:22:51 -0700 (MST)

L.Zurbrigg wrote:

> Therefore introductions from such
> locations , esp. in California, seldom would have a chance to show if > they
> are resistant to leaf spot. Only when they come East, and have to live
> through hot and sometimes very wet weather, do they get the chance to
> show the resistance to leaf spot that is desirable. As you state, soil
> conditions also play a part, as does culture. But the bearded irises > > badly
> need an upgrading in regard to producing good summer foliage here in
> the Eastern United States.  Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC USA

I beg to disagree with you LLoyd.  It is true that our summers and early
fall are dry and free from leafspot, however we (California) get our
leafspot in our rainy winter.  Our temperatures rarely fall below
freezing and leafspot will be active at this time.  I usually spray my
iris twice a  month in the winter, from October to March.  If not
massive outbreaks will occur.  And this can happen to any garden in
California whether they admit it or not.

Believe me, WE can tell if an iris is resistant to leafspot or not.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8