re:obscene message

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Bill Shear wrote:

>   With as many as 50 posts a day, iris-l could be one of the most
> irritating lists to get on--if you don't like irises.
>
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
> (804)223-6172
> FAX (804)223-6374
> email<bills@hsc.edu>
>
> 	I just got off a library list-serve that connected all librarians
in the world (I think), or at least in the US.  There could be hundreds of
messages a day and we would occasionally get obscene ones like the Iris-l
got the other day.  Even, the Episcopicalian list has gotten them.  They
are done by 'low-lifes' strictly for the shock effect and for the 'thrill'
it must give them. "O brave new world that has such people in it!"

	What is particularly disturbing and embarrassing is to encounter
this garbage when helping a library patron search the net.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS