ADMIN: obscene message

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: ADMIN: obscene message
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:30:50 -0700 (MST)

Guo Rong has been removed from the list. I believe Bill Shear was correct:
he was a victim of "letter bombing". There are troublemakers who go around
subscribing people at random to mailing lists. If the victim is not very
internet savvy, he or she will not know where all the messages are coming
from or how to stop them, and will usually lash out at the mailing list, as
we saw. This is half of the "joke". The other half is the people on the
mailing list, who are also unaware of what has happened, getting all wound
up over the victim's outburst.

If you see a posting on Iris-L that is offensive or strange in any way,
please contact me immediately and I will check into the matter. Starting a
discussion about it on the list is usually just a waste of time and bandwidth.

Thanks to those who promptly reported this posting to me. Let's hope it
won't happen again any time soon.

Cheers, Tom.

Tom Tadfor Little                   telp@Rt66.com
Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)