Re: 201 Homework -- White Ground

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: 201 Homework -- White Ground
  • From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:02:11 -0700 (MST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
Date: Monday, February 09, 1998 4:14 PM
Subject: HYB: 201 Homework -- White Ground

Continuing with observations of seedlings from SOSTENIQUE X TRIBE OF JUDAH.

First, the blues and violets....

COPE GOODWIN [described previously] was selected as the best of the blue
bitones with
signals.  The runnerup had an almost identical flower -- except that its
standards even paler blue.
Plant performance was the deciding factor.

The other one in contention had slightly darker standards, somewhat lighter
falls, and a stippled signal
instead of a solid one.  Again, it came down to performance.  Had its plant
been markedly superior to that of COPE GOODWIN, I would have introduced it
instead.  But the plants were comparable, the flowers a bit too much alike
to name both of them, and I preferred the one with more contrast.

The most spectacular bloomed out and therefore didn't even rate a seedling
number.  It was pure white
except for a sky blue rim on the falls, a small sky blue signal, and yellow
beard.  A similar pattern showed up later in blue-violet but the markings
were not as clean and the plant didn't rate introduction.

Homework:  Their blue patterns differ but, as I indicated in the subject
line, these seedlings have very something important in common -- no visible
yellow except in the beard.  Which of your predictions are confirmed by
this?  What, if anything, does it add to your model?

More to come...

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com