Cult: Spacing of plants

Someone asked me a couple of questions off-list and I thought they might be of
general interest:

They worte:

> I noticed you are growing your iris in raised beds,
> this is what my beginner iris bed is also,
> how close can I plant the iris?

I think that depends on how many years you want to leave them in place. If you
are going to dig them up the next year, I think 10 inch centers are ok. This
is what I do for all the ones I grow for the Iris club, and for a lot of the
ones that are new to me. If you are planting a rz that has lots of increases
already started (instant clump) or one that obviously grows fast or large, you
might give it more room (12-14"). If I decide to keep a first year rz I
generally transplant it with a large root ball so I end up with a second year
clump the next summer.

If I am going to leave a cv in situ for a couple of years I generally use
18-24" centers.

> How many is "enough" to trade?  I do
> not have any to trade currently but am none the less curious how you
> experts decide things like that.

Thanks for the compliment but I still consider my self intermediate (at

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Whenever I dig a clump, I generally
keep one or two rz's and can trade the rest. I often keep "instant clumps" for
myself so I get more bloom next year... You can dig and divide after a year or
wait for 2 or 3 when the clump gets really crowded. If you mean how many cv's,
I am always moving ones out of my garden that I decide I don't like as much as
some new thing I saw somewhere. I guess enough is the number I need to get rid
of to make room for my newest extravagance(s)...  :>))

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.