yellowish-ivory thumbprints on each
side, small violet camouflaged signal.

89-1-27
S. Soft reddish violet.
F. Soft reddish violet, with stippled
plum-on-ivory signal.

89-1-31
S. Soft yellowish-ivory.
F.  Yellowish-ivory, with rim of soft plum, =

plum veins extending from tip of the =

beard to the edge of the falls, and rust-
on-ivory veins flanking the beard.
B. Yellow.

None of the ivory-ground patterns were
ultimately selected for introduction.   Each =

of these examples was selected as the =

best of its type, but in some cases the
plants didn't meet my gardenability criteria
for introduction and in others the aril traits
simply weren't prominent enough by =

comparison with other patterns.  =

HOMEWORK:
The original question was how can you
predict what quarterbred seedlings are
going to look like.  In other words, how
can you tell if a planned cross is likely
to be a good one.

We've prepared charts, compared traits,
and made predictions.  Now it's time for
reverse engineering [for the compulsively
logical] or to exercise the artistic eye [for
those who hate charts.

None I've described were pure ivory or =

ivory and yellow, but rather were the basic
ivory ground pattern overlaid with the =

anthocyanidins -- so it's time to look at
the interaction of the two patterns.

Your assignment:

1.  Three of these correspond to blue-violet-
on-white-ground patterns I described earlier.
Match them.

2.  Two have patterns not represented in my
earlier post.  Describe what those patterns
would look like with a white ground instead
of the ivory ground.

Are you beginning to see why I think it's a good
idea to repeat this cross, even though I've =

grown so many seedlings from it and =

introduced four of them?

More to come....

Sharon McAllister