Re: Leaf Spot--aphids--foliar feeding

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Leaf Spot--aphids--foliar feeding
  • From: nickishay@juno.com (Nicki Shay)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:27:33 -0700 (MST)

That famous guy on PBS is very practical - and his recipes do work!  I
mixed lemon detergent, a brew made from chewing tobacco, a little mineral
oil as a sticker, some shaved and melted/watered down fells naptha soap,
some stale beer, and mixed it up in a gallon pail - put a quart jar on
with a lid that fits the hose, and sprayed EVERYTHING - including the
lawn. I managed NOT to have one aphid, white flies or pests on my plum,
cherries, pears, lawns, flowers of all kinds - all year long.  I did
spray this mix several times throughout spring and summer.

It was wonderful not to be attacked with white flies that hang around the
plum tree.  I sprayed before the plums were formed and after they were
picked.

My daughter in Oregon only uses Miracle Grow on her iris, and in her
veggie garden - and she has had super success!

One more thing these unusual sprays do?   NO LAWN FLEAS last summer on my
pooch!

All Natural seems to be best.   But what about the rot caused by moisure
here in the Northwest?  Cut out the stinking section and get rid of it.
Pour a bleach solution on the rhizome where the rot came out of , then
sprinkle with Comet.  Works for me.

Now about the moles who love the iris.  Our local experts say use traps.
That's good if you only have a few.  I cut my husband's hair - and I
stuff his hair in the holes.  Bye Bye moles.  At least they went over t0
the neighbors!!! (smile)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998 16:10:50 -0700 (MST) Edmundas Kondratas
<stogutis@kaunas.omnitel.net> writes:

>------ =_NextPart_000_01BD35B8.EB88AF20
>

>Donald,
>on Leaf Spot matter you wrote,
>Gerry,
>
>I would love to comment on the leaf spot issue.  Being from the Deep
>and
>Humid South, one would expect that my garden would be overrun with
>leaf
>spot.  Watching the last few posts on leaf spot, I wondered how I had
>managed to escape this nasty sounding stuff.  I speculated as to what
>I =
>was
>doing differently than everyone else. It must be the foliar sprays as
>I =
>do
>not use any heavy duty chemicals or any fungicide sprays in my garden.
>
>I'm pretty aggressive at removing spent or yellow foliage on my TB's
>throughout the year.  I use foliar sprays on all of my perennials =
>including
>the irises and daylilies. I use a spray of a store brand "Miracle-Gro
>=
>like"
>fertilizer with other things thrown in: Epsom salts, dishwashing
>liquid
>(AJAX Lemon- phosphate free), fish emulsion with seaweed extract, and
>=
>even
>Tabasco sauce (for the rabbits).  I figure that I kill the aphids and
>=
>feed
>the plants at the same time.  The key ingredient that may be
>effectively
>deterring the leaf spot is the dishwashing liquid. The soap dries
>those
>little aphids up overnight and lemon is said to deter ants (aphid =
>herders).
>
>My wife (a non-gardener) has commented in the past to me saying that
>my
>bearded irises have such healthy looking foliage compared to the ones
>=
>she
>sees in neighborhood gardens. I also find that this foliar feeding =
>method
>is an easy way to fertilize without any worry of disturbing shallow =
>roots.
>I do incorporate some slow release fertilizer, alfalfa pellets, and =
>horse
>manure at transplanting time.
>
>I love to experiment with things added to the foliar sprays.  Anyone =
>else
>have a favorite ingredient (things fairly non-toxic to humans)?  I
>once =
>saw
>a famous gardening fellow (can't remember his name) on the local PBS =
>T.V.
>channel talking about mixing up a concoction with Listerine mouthwash,
>beer, tobacco juice, and lots of other household items.  Anyone know =
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]