Re: Iris ID : Permanent

<< I keep having this wild fantasy. What if the AIS were to require that all
 new iris introductions had at least part of both parent's names. . .  The
 possibilities boggle the imagination.
 Ross >>

Hello all,

I've been learning tons from this list. And reading with as much absorption as
possible, all the technical writings. The above statement is close to what I
was thinking about last week.  My idea was prompted from a show that I saw on
a channel on Cable TV, called 'Animal Planet'. This particular show was based
in Australia.  It was about a lost dog, and trying to be concise here, the vet
waved this *gadget* over the dog, and lo and behold the dog was permanently
ID'd with a computer chip that was inserted under the skin of the dog.

How does this pertain to Iris ID?  Well, ( gimme room, I'm going to go way out
here...) is it possible to know the exact variety of an Iris from a basis of a
chromosome count, or some other genetic type angle?  I went further into this
thought thinking that if there was a way, then maybe when an Iris was
introduced, it also would be required to have had the appropriate *test* done,
which would be the permanent ID. Then there would be no more fear of lost
tags.  Is this feasible?

Karen Ernst