Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:59:40 -0700 (MST)

I wrote:

>> I got the same collection of reticulatas from Park. Mine are blooming now
>> too. I've also grown most of the different named cultivars I could get my
>> hands on. So far, I haven't been able to decisively identify the ones in
>> the mix. I'll report any "Eurekas" I might have.

Rick replied

>Would it be of any value to send you the "Head shots" of the Park
>reticulatas when I get them developed?  I'm going to contact Alan
>Mcmurtrie of Canada and see if he will look at them.

You can if you like. I suspect I'm seeing the same plants you are, so the
photos may be superfluous. So far, I've only had two clones bloom from the
mix.

1. A blue bitone, small falls a bit pinched and tucked, orange crest with
white markings. The standards are mid to light blue, the falls are medium
blue-violet, not very dark.

Is it CLAIRETTE?

2. A large-flowered very dark violet self, with long segments, flaring
falls, and an unusually large amount of white blotching around the crest.

Is it PAULINE?

Here's what I know they're not: Joyce, Harmony, Cantab, J.S.Dijt, Violet
Beauty, I. reticulata cult. (pretty sure).