HIST: Barb's Wish List -- Looking For These Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST: Barb's Wish List -- Looking For These Irises
  • From: Barb Johnson <lgjohnson@getonthe.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:19:18 -0700 (MST)

Dear gang,

Have had lots of help from people in finding for me the irises my mother
grew in central Illinois in the 1930's and 1940's, but there are still
18 that we can't locate. Has anyone seen the following in a a catalog or
do you grow them:

BALDWIN (H.P.Sass 1927) -- HIPS Sale 1996 but not 1997
BALROUDOUR (J.Sass 1933) Dwarf
BLACK WINGS (Kirkland 1930)
BUECHLEY GIANT (Buechley 1932)
CALIFORNIA GOLD (Mohr-Mitchell 1933)
DALE  early blue; can't find in check lists; may be a Dutch iris
DORE' (J.Sass 1935) -- HIPS Sale 1996 & 1997,also Cameron Hall has it.
When I ordered it from the HIPS Sale, it wasn't available after all.
GOLDEN LIGHT (H.P.Sass 1933)
GOLDEN LION (Byvoet 1927) -- deep yellow Ziphium
HAPPY DAYS (Mitchell 1934)
NARANJA (Mitchell 1935)
NUMA ROUMESTAN (Cayeux 1928)
NYMPH (Burton, N) Tall white TB, Mom said; evidently not the Sass
RED DOMINION (Ayres 1931)
STELLA BECKER (Bommersbach 1940) From Decatur, Illinois
WINNEISHEIK (Egelberg 1931)
ZAHAROON (Dykes 1927)

I appreciate any help you can give. This list originally had 43 irises
but between Ellie Weikle, the HIPS Sales, Anner, Leslie, Lorraine's,
Mary's Garden, Superstition, and Argyle Acres, most have been found.
(Anner, I miscounted--there are 18, not 17!). And John Jones is helping
with the California irises.

I like the fact that this list will be in the archives for future

Barb Johnson		lgjohnson@getonthe.net
Near Springfield, MO	where our dry spell is coming to an end tonite.