Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:43:14 -0700 (MST)

Tom Tadfor Little wrote:
> I wrote:
> >> I got the same collection of reticulatas from Park. Mine are blooming now
> >> too. I've also grown most of the different named cultivars I could get my
> >> hands on. So far, I haven't been able to decisively identify the ones in
> >> the mix. I'll report any "Eurekas" I might have.
> >>
> Rick replied
> >Would it be of any value to send you the "Head shots" of the Park
> >reticulatas when I get them developed?  I'm going to contact Alan
> >Mcmurtrie of Canada and see if he will look at them.
> You can if you like. I suspect I'm seeing the same plants you are, so the
> photos may be superfluous. So far, I've only had two clones bloom from the
> mix.
> 1. A blue bitone, small falls a bit pinched and tucked, orange crest with
> white markings. The standards are mid to light blue, the falls are medium
> blue-violet, not very dark.

I'm not sure but I have the same one marked #2 from Parks.

> 2. A large-flowered very dark violet self, with long segments, flaring
> falls, and an unusually large amount of white blotching around the crest.
> Is it PAULINE?

No, I think I have this one identified.  In my new Botanica book there
is a picture of it.  It is a good picture and looks identical.  Dark,
wine-violet self with a white spotted signal...no orange or yellow.  It
is called "Purple Gem".  The majority (over a hundred bulbs) are this
> Here's what I know they're not: Joyce, Harmony, Cantab, J.S.Dijt, Violet
> Beauty, I. reticulata cult. (pretty sure).
> Tom Tadfor Little                       telp@Rt66.com

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California....Batten down the hatches, another storm coming in!
Zone 8