Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:49:47 -0700 (MST)

>> 2. A large-flowered very dark violet self, with long segments, flaring
>> falls, and an unusually large amount of white blotching around the crest.
>> Is it PAULINE?
>No, I think I have this one identified.  In my new Botanica book there
>is a picture of it.  It is a good picture and looks identical.  Dark,
>wine-violet self with a white spotted signal...no orange or yellow.  It
>is called "Purple Gem".  The majority (over a hundred bulbs) are this

That's a likely candidate. However, I was dissuaded by the commentary in
_The World of Irises_:

"Purple Gem is a dark red violet with velvety falls. It is early,
floriferous, well formed, and hardy. Inexplicably, the true plant is now
rarely sold."

..which rather begs the question of what "false plant" is now commonly

Cheers, Tom.

Tom Tadfor Little                   telp@Rt66.com
Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)
Telperion Productions  http://www.rt66.com/~telp/