HIST:HIPSource Inquiries--Policy in 1998

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST:HIPSource Inquiries--Policy in 1998
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:55:48 -0700 (MST)

This seems to be an appropriate time to make an announcement about how I
intend to handle requests for information on sources for historic irises which
are posted to the list in the coming season.

In general these inquiries will be answered privately. There are several
reasons for this. First, answers to these questions will be of limited appeal.
Secondly, I make decisions about which source to refer people to on a case by
case basis weighing several factors and sometimes it is necessary to qualify
the reference. Third, if I post the source information it may cause a run on a
cultivar which results in the original inquiree not getting a start of the

Now, inquiries which arise naturally from the flow of conversation and are a
part of it may well be answered on list, with comments as appropriate. And if
I have occasion to mention historic cultivars by name, I may also mention who
has them. I do not intend to be rigid in this respect, and I do intend to
emphasise whenever appropriate the diversity of superb older cultivars in
commerce, and the worthy work of those nurseries who make them available to
interested parties.

If you are looking for specific historic iris cultivars-- those introduced
before 1969-- and wish to consult us, please feel free to do so. We answer all
communications to this address, or to our special HIPSource address, which is
preferable, also noted below. However, we are not, strictly speaking, obliged
to run all over trying to answer inquiries that do not come to us directly.

The 1998 catalogs are not out in any quantity yet, and it may be best to wait
with your questions for a little while until the information about what is
offerred this year is in our hands, at which point there will be more answers.
However, if you do contact us now we will do what we can.

Remember, please, that our time is finite, and that we are volunteers. Please
also remember that HIPS members are given preference when time is short, and
that all iris source inquiries from HIPS members should come to this office

Thank you.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS
"Preserving irises, iris records, and iris artifacts for the future."