Re: Iris ID : Permanent

Thank you for such a thorough answer.  I enjoyed reading it and learning a bit
more on the subject.

Karen Ernst

<< DNA fingerprinting is alive and well in plants.  Techniques range from
 simple to complex and inexpensive to expensive.  My perspectives and
 experiences with fingerprinting are biased from my experiences as a
 breeder/geneticist of agricultural crops.  Breeders in industy as well as
 academia routinely fingerprint their own as well as competitor's
 varieties, in addition to landraces and wild and weedy species.  The
 objectives are varied, but would commonly include germplasm organization
 for designing crossing programs, marker-assisted selection programs (where
 molecular markers linked to traits of interest are selected on young
 plants instead of waiting to evaluate adult plants), and protection of
 proprietary materials (which, unlike iris, are commonly protected via
 patents or plant varietal protection).
 My former lab in Wisconsin has fingerprinted and can individually identify
 something near 700 accessions of snap beans and dry beans.  I have little
 doubt that the same could be done among iris clones.  However, Maureen's
 suggestion that it will not be seen soon commercially seems on the mark,
 to me.  That is, I don't know of any "home kits" in the works.  But, as
 for a one time analysis of a given group of plants, that is certainly
 reasonable. Many labs university labs will do contract work for industry,
 particularly if the work is publishable.
 Lastly, there was some discussion recently about some putative
 interspecific hybrids siberian x ?? (I don't recall other parent).  The
 putative hybrids looked like one parent or the other.  I have the exact
 same problem with an interspecific hybrid in azuki bean.  I was able to
 confirm over the weekend with DNA markers that the hybrid, although
 appearing like the female parent, contains DNA markers of the male parent
 and, therefore, must be a true hybrid.  This type of work is incredibly
 fast, cheap, and requires no prior knowledge of the species in question.
 If someone were willing to pay for the work I am sure there are labs that
 will do it.
 Gavin Sills
 Washington State University
 Pullman, WA