Re: Garden Planing

Dennis Bishop wrote:

<<  I'm thinking that  this area, about 6ft long by 4ft wide would be a good
area
 for some TBI growing there.  What do you all think? >>

Sounds promising, Dennis. They should like that all that sun and drainage. You
might want to pick up a little home soil test kit and check the dirt out
before you go whole hog; it's a lot easier to fix things before you get plants
in there. It probably could use some organic matter, too.  Organic matter
--leaf mold, compost--will help keep some moisture available to the roots in
all that sun and keep the sand from washing around. Check that other dirt,
also, before you traipse it home. Might be icky. Then I think I'd make sure I
had at least eight inches of soil depth over that gravel base. More is better.
We always hear that bearded irises are shallow rooted--wide and shallow--but I
have been surprised how deep they will go if the opportunity is there. I've
seen them go down ten inches in real loose soil.

You know if you also got some IBs --Intermediate Bearded Irises--the season
would last longer for you.  The are smaller than the TBs and bloom a little
earlier.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Va
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com