Re: Mystery heritage irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Mystery heritage irises
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:50:40 -0700 (MST)

At 08:35 PM 2/10/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I wonder if our most learned irisarians on the Iris List could give me their
>conjecture as to what this iris described below might be. This letter was
>written by Reid M. Pinchback presently of  Plymouth, Massachusetts.
>Just post the information and I will forward him the answers as he is not on
>the Iris List. My thought is that they are what is known as Dutch iris. What
>do you all think...

Hi, Chris.  Boy, these things sound very much like some bulbs I grew about
10 yrs. ago that were also called "English Irises."  I believe I purchased
them from Parks, but can no longer be sure.  Similar to "Dutch" irises, but
different.  They grew better for me, for one thing!  Reid's description is
very much what mine looked like.  I believe they are very prone to virus,
and mine had the typical virus-y faint streaks and mottling of color.  They
persisted for several years, tho I didn't have them in a very good spot.
Finally left the last behind upon moving.  They were nice--wish I knew
where to find some again, also.

Dorothy Fingerhood
(Newfield, NY)