Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 07:18:16 -0700 (MST)

  Do you have "Frank Elder" or "Katharine Hodgkin"?
>These are wows!

I have Katherine Hodgkin potted for forcing.  Just brought it into the cool
greenhouse and will let you know of progress.

For what it's worth, my guess on the unknown reticulata varieties would
rule out any of the more recent hybrids (less than 20 years old), because
reticulatas are very slowly propagated.  Katherine Hodgkin was produced
decades ago and is still rare and expensive.  And it is always possible
that the collection may not have contained named varieties, but seedlings.

The best way to identify these things would be to take some pictures and
send them to Alan McMurtrie.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College