Re: Var:Dykes Medalist

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Var:Dykes Medalist
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:36:38 -0700 (MST)

Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> You must not be a gambling man, Rick, since the previous year's Wister
> Medallist has won the Dykes' Medal each year since the the Wister Medal was
> first awarded in '93. That must make ACOMA a very heavy odds-on favorite to
> take the Dykes in '98.

> If there are any judges out there who like both ACOMA and either CITY
> LIGHTS or AMERICA'S CUP, thet might want to consider some strategic voting,
> as ACOMA has three year's eligibilty for the Dykes, but the two Runners Up
> to for the 1997 Wister Medal are Dykes-eligible this year only.

Some variables to consider.  Like you said Acoma won the Wister and is
the odds on favorite.  Also, I'm sure it will be given enormous exposure
at the Denver Convention which is it's home territory.

City Lights is by Mary Dunn, who unfortunately just passed away last
fall and sentiment (I know judge the flower only, but reality suggests
otherwise in some cases) could be there for her.

America's Cups is a good iris, I like it but....I have no variables for
this one.
> There are some very outstanding non-TBs in the Dykes pool, too, of course.

Yes there are, but it will have to be truly outstanding to beat out a

> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4, Sunset Zone 2)
> cwalters@digitalpla.net

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California