Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. Reticulata
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:49:28 -0700 (MST)

Linda Mann wrote:
> Rick Tasco - I hope your identification quest for these guys is
> successful.  Mostly so if/when I order more, I'll know what I already
> have some of.

I'm pretty sure the dark wine-violet with the sprekles on the falls is
"Purple Gem" or runner up "Pauline".  I'm going to purchase named
varieties this fall so next year I hopefully should know more.

I know that the retics are hardy and can take the cold, but what about
their conditions in the summer?  I've had a variety(unknown of course)
for about 4 years that comes back successfully and multiplies each year.
Anyway, they do not get any water the entire summer and fall.  The soil
they are planted in is woodland loam.  Soil mixed with oak leaves.  Just
thought this culture may help.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California